Welcome to Occupy Congress… a place for the 99%
The Occupation Party is a new third party that stands in solidarity with the populist message of Occupy Wall Street.
We are planning to occupy the political process and take the people’s message into Congress by electing representatives and senators who are people from the 99%, not the political elite.Here is the Occupation Party's platform:
November 13, 2011 Revised Draft
Our first task is to develop and promote legislation that will address the serious flaws in our financial, political, and taxation systems. Therefore, we need to accomplish the following:
* Restore Reasonable Regulation to the Financial System
* Ensure Equal Justice for All
* Enact Campaign Finance and Electoral Reform
* Implement Fair Tax Reform
* Implement Lobbying ReformThis is interesting indeed because on November 16th, one of the OWS's main organizers (Rebuild the Dream), Van Jones called for a 'Phase 2' among OWS that involved sending people to Congress and getting more engaged in politics. Here is an excerpt from what Van Jones had to say:
"Phase 2, you move from anger to answers… They (Tea Party) pivoted over to politics… We are going to be recruiting 2000 candidates to run for office now, under this 99% banner. You're going to see an evolution now as you go from, keep the protests but now expand into politics. And if you thought there was an earthquake in 2010 when the Tea Party moved into politics, wait until this 99% movement moves over into politics. You haven't seen anything yet."Note that this interview was given three days after the Occupation Party's platform was published. As someone who supports the Obama agenda, the notion that Van Jones would support a third party movement that would siphon votes from the Democratic Party makes little sense.
Stay tuned for future stories on this. I have an idea where this is headed....
Here is the entire Van Jones' interview with CNN's Suzanne Malveaux: